Domain name is easier to remember than IP address and provides a better solution to make our website’s IP address memorable.
People are identified by their names like Mark Zuckerberg, John Cena etc but the computers has no names as they are identified by unique series of numbers which called IP address, However, it is difficult for humans to remember dozens of numbers.
Because of this, domain names were developed and used to identify computers on the Internet rather than using IP addresses.
A domain name is a unique name that identifies a website over the internet.
For example, the domain name of the Google is “google.com”, each website has a unique domain name that serves as an address, which is used to access the website.
A domain name can be any combination of letters and numbers, and it can be used in combination of the various domain name extensions also called tld (Top level domain), such as .com, .net;
The domain name is equal to IP address, When we type domain name in our browser, the domain name system converts it to IP address but people can see a memorable and easy-to-spell address in address bar, such as Google.com.
The domain name hides the IP address that most people aren’t interested in seeing or using numbers.
Think about mobile phone: when you want to call your mother, you simply click on your contact “Mom” and your phone dials your mother’s phone number. In the same way Domains calls the IP address to take you to its website.
A domain name is the address of your website where Internet users can access your website and it is used for finding and identifying computers on the Internet.
The domain must be registered before you can use it. Every domain is unique. No two websites can have the same domain name or IP address.
If someone types www.yourdomain.com in browser, it will go to your website and no one else’s.
Sunil Butolia Explains Domain
- Domain names have two parts that are separated by a dot, such as example.com.
- A domain name can be used to identify a single IP address or group of IP addresses.
- A host or organization may use a domain name as an alternate IP address because domain names are alphanumeric (as opposed to all numbers), making them easier to memorize.
- A domain is used as part of a URL to identify a website.
- The part that follows the dot is the top level domain (TLD), or group to which the domain belongs. For example, .gov is the TLD for U.S. government domains.
- The IP address in the domain name’s background is converted to a recognizable, alphanumeric domain name by a system known as the domain name system (DNS).
Popular Domain Names Extensions
.com,. net, .org, .co, .gov, .us, .in and much more.
Who Can Get A Domain Name?
Domain names are relatively cheap to register, though they must be renewed every year or every few years.
The good news is that anyone can register a domain name, so you can purchase a unique domain for your blog or website.
The bad news is that nearly all domain names with common words have already been registered. Therefore, if you want to register a custom domain name, you may need to think of a creative variation. Once you decide on a domain and register it, the name is yours until you stop renewing it.
When the renewal period expires, the domain becomes available for others to purchase.
Someone can not claim for any domain name as it depends on availability of that domain and first come first serve basis.
A Domain Name is Different from The URL
A domain name is commonly part of a larger internet address called a URL (Uniform Resource Locator).
The URL goes into much more detail than a domain, providing more information like the specific folder and file on the server.
The universal resource locator, or URL, is an entire set of directions, and it contains extremely detailed information. The domain is one of the pieces inside of a URL.
What is The Difference Between a Domain Name and a Website?
Domain name and website is connected to each other but both are different things.
Domain is the address of the website on the internet and website is collection of web pages which we can edit, delete and can change look and feel anytime but domain can not be changed after purchasing it.
Popular Domain Name Registrars
What’s the Difference Between a Domain Name and Web Hosting?
To have a website, you need both a domain and hosting. Your domain gives people a way to find your website, and your hosting is space on a server (a remote computer) where all of your website content resides.
Think of a domain like it’s your website’s street address, and hosting is like the website’s house. You can have your address before you build your house, but to show off all your photos on your website, you’ll need a place (hosting) to put them.
Tips to get a perfect domain name.
Domain name is your face so this should be unique and perfect because it cant not be changed after purchasing so think about it before getting one.
- This should be short and meaningful, it is best if its within 7 characters.
- Should be memorable and easy to spell.
- Should be easily speakable over phone.
- Should be keyword friendly for better Search engine results.
- You can get combination of two meaningful keywords like “lion fox”.
- Never use hiphen (minus sign) between two keywords as its not speakable.
- You can also invent your own word like Samsung invented for itself.
- Name should be brandable, it represents your brand-name.